[NCLUG] ANN: NCLUG Hacking Society, March 06, 2007

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Mar 4 22:32:15 MST 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 03:15:18AM +0000, Paul Hummer wrote:
> Wow, this is great.  I'm new to the NCLUG, just looked it up, but I'll
> definitely be there.  I was just wondering if you were saying "work on
> your own projects" meaning talk about what you're working on, or
> actually DOING the work.  Or maybe I'm not understanding it the same
> way, and these "hacking" projects are just software projects, not
> necessarily also hardware projects.

Mostly, it tends to be a bunch of people sitting around with laptops,
talking to each other, typing, and generally turning whatever
computer-related work they have into a social activity.  I'm pretty sure
that if you showed up with a small block of magnesium and an apple
peeler, and started whittling, people would look at you kinda funny but
accept it as a form of "hardware hacking" and be glad to have you.  At
least, that's my impression from attending Hacking Society meetings in
the past.

> Also, how do I find all the other guy's at Cozolla's Pizza.  Do I just
> walk in and say I'm looking for the Hacking Society?  I'm pretty sure
> the high school aged hostess at the front will give me a good reaction
> in the case!  Looking forward to meeting some other fellow Linux users!

That approach would probably work for helping you find them.

This sig for rent:  a Signify v1.14 production from http://www.debian.org/