[NCLUG] comcast blocking port 25?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Mar 8 15:09:50 MST 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:19:52AM -0700, Matt wrote:
>be blocked? My understanding is that port 587 should be used. Should I
>configure postfix to look at both 25 and 587?  If so, how?

587 should be used, if comcast suggests it, for outgoing mail.  That is
"mail submission" which is different than incoming SMTP (port 25).
This is supposed to be so that a mail server can deal with it's own users,
sending outgoing mail, differently than it deals with incoming e-mail.

 We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
                 -- Oscar Wilde