[NCLUG] Why not Root?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Mar 17 13:16:55 MDT 2007

> If a Linux machine is built and used by a single person, why not always
> log in as root?

This is strictly historical, when UNIX/Linux/BSD systems were primarily
multiuser servers. Those of us that have been systems programers or sysadmins
on UNIX systems for the last 30+ years tend to user our own logins and
SU/SUDO/SSH when we need to out of several decades of habit, even on our personal
desktop UNIX machines. In a few cases, I even SUID a few commands that
need SUSER access to certain system resources that I regularly use under
my own login to avoid the extra SU/SUDO/SSH sessions/logins.

Under capability based systems, it's often easier just to enable those
capabilities for a specific user.

While a few (or many) bigots may believe that root/SUSER logins are horrible
as a regular practice, they really need to mind their own business when
comes to personal systems.

If you are sysadmin of a business multiuser or network server, then it's
pretty clear from a long history of stupid expensive mistakes, that working
in root unnecessarily, will at the worst possible time when you are tired
and rushed or stressed, result in a significant economic loss to your
employer, customers, or clients due to avoidable mistakes. Sysadmins that
do this once are typically terminated in most businesses, or certainly
after a few times when the mistakes cost the business several time the
sysadmins yearly salary.

John