[NCLUG] Why not Root?

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Sat Mar 17 16:36:56 MDT 2007

	I've never found myself inconvenienced by NOT being root when I'm just
	doing "stuff".

	DLC

There are actually a number of stupid things that still require SUSER access
on a personal desktop or notebook machine. Most networking and printer admin
for starters. If a CUPS based network printer is power off, and times out,
it requires SUSER access for "cups enable" to restart it's deamon. Ditto for
enabling a wireless card and altering addresses or default routes.

Restricted control of such admin tasks for multiuser/server machines makes
sense, and is totally bogus for a personal "single owner" personal machine.

John