[NCLUG] Why not Root?

Dave Treece davet at frii.com
Sat Mar 17 22:12:37 MDT 2007

    Just my two cents worth, but as a single user I don't think it
really matters much. I can bring down a system as a regular user just as
easily as a root user. I've been playing with a few ram only linux
systems (such as puppy) which only run a root user and overall....its
really not a huge problem. Yes, it can be easier to corrupt and utilize
a system when you can gain access via the "root" user, but I think
overall most exploits will expose and use what's available to a normal
user (since that's the predominate user interface), and if that user is
root..what the heck..even better.
    As a standalone system I would just take better care of what
external facing programs I'm running; as in I probably wouldn't run a
web server, etc,  on a system with a root only account.