[NCLUG] Why not Root?

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Sat Mar 17 22:51:02 MDT 2007

Bill Thorson wrote:
> David,
>
> I currently have FC5 on my laptop and do not have to be root to
> configure either my wired or wireless network.
> If you are using the default gnome.  There is a "Network
> Configuration" tool which requests root password and then lists your
> network devices. When you select one and click 'edit' you see as one
> of your options "Allow all users to enable and disable the device."
> This worked for me.
>
> Now I have the Network Monitor applet on my panel where when clicked
> brings up a screen that has a Configure button which brings up a
> screen where I can activate and deactivate all my network devices (2)
> without being root.
>
> Not a perfect solution but it works pretty good.  I'm sure there
> probably has to be a way to do similar in kde too.
Bill,

I wish Fedora did have some kind of friendly graphical wireless
connection tool, at least I can't find it yet. I am running Fedora 6
with NetworkManager running in the background. It does a pretty good job
of guessing what needs to be done to get connected where ever I am, but
sometimes I need to open a terminal and fiddle with it. This mostly
happens when I get near another machine running in such a way that my
laptop thinks it is an access point and tries to connect to the other
laptop. Very annoying.

I think this Network Monitor applet you are talking about is a Gnome
front end for NetworkManager. I could be wrong.

Thanks.

David