[NCLUG] Why not Root?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Mar 18 19:50:10 MDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:42:54PM -0600, John L. Bass wrote:
>For the most part, nearly every major Linux distribution is nearly swiss
>cheese in respect to security, because of the lack of a security centric

I'd have to disagree that it's anything like "swiss cheese".  We maintain
and administer hundreds of Linux machines and it's rare for us to have
machines exploited.  I do agree that giving untrusted users accounts on a
system dramatically changes the security profile of that machine, which is
why I recommend not doing that.

But, you know, if Linux security does not seem, to me, to be swiss cheese,
or I'd expect many more exploits on the systems we manage.

 "Ayn Rand books and guns...  You guys take World Domination seriously."
 "It's our job."  -- Conversation with Luke Jones about Rob Riggs place.