[NCLUG] No Happy Beeps

nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net nighthawk999 at bigvalley.net
Tue Mar 20 14:55:19 MDT 2007

Hello everybody,

I'm asking here because y'all recommended Lucent
Orinoco Gold Card when I first started connecting
at public Internet coffee shops. A 16 bit
802.11b card.

I'm running Slackware 11.0 on a ThinkPad T30.
The default kernel is 2.4.33.3 and when I run
it I connect without any problem.

I set up kernel 2.6.17.13 as an option in
Lilo. Could not connect. Found out that
pcmcia was deprecated. Obtained pcmciautils
from freshmeat.net ... then did make and
make install after backing up /etc/pcmcia/pcmcia.opts
and /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts ...

Still cannot connect using 2.6x kernel ...
seems that yenta_socket isn't getting
loaded when I boot the 2.6x kernel...

Bottom line, would I be better off going
to a different wireless card?

And, apropos why not always run as root
discussion [thank you everybody] I log
in as root, run dhcpcd to get an address,
resume a SETI at home work unit as root,
switch to a second terminal, log in
as my regular non-root user, startx, browse
the Internet ... check credit card balance,
log out of X, log off the terminal, switch
back to first terminal, stop SETI at home,
and shut down. Is this best practice, or no?

tia and hope to see y'all soon,

Shorter Rankin

Dial Broadband has arrived Nationwide! Up to 5 times faster than traditional dialup connections from $13.33/month! See the demo for yourself at <a href="http://www.BigValley.net">www.BigValley.net</a>