[NCLUG] Need to write to non-owned file

mike loseke mike.loseke at gmail.com
Mon May 14 08:37:33 MDT 2007

On 5/12/07, Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com> wrote:

> S Luke Jones wrote:
> > That's the purpose of groups, although they don't seem to be used as
> > much any more as they must have back in the V7 days.
>
> Groups are still very much in use.  It is just that today instead of
> having a single mainframe where everyone logs into it at once we have
> a distributed workstation environment where most people work
> individually on their own system in their own sandbox.  So people
> don't see the benefit as obviously as before.  But the utility is
> still there.

Time to train them and explain the error of their ways. Move all their home
directories and common group/project files to an NFS share (or your
networked filesystem of choice), group-inize all the data so that they can
work together more cleanly. Use some sort of revision control system if
necessary, there are many to choose from, I have people here excited about
some of the things subversion offers. Once you've moved all data to the
central location, you can remove those distributed workstations from your
backups, reducing backup licensing costs, backup times and storage media
costs.