[NCLUG] The Microsoft vs. Red Penguins Thread

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed May 16 15:50:02 MDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 01:00:34PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:32:07 -0600
> jbass at dmsd.com ("John L. Bass") wrote:
>
> > It also works if all the open source patents are held in the
> > same place, a common open source foundation patent entity, that
> > will perfect the patent application, file it, defend it, in
> > partnership with developers.
> >
> > Has to be independent of GPL, and include all "free licenses"
> > including BSD, etc.
>
> Like OIN?
>
> http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/
>
> Their comment on this MS saber rattling:
>
> http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/press_release.php

I'm more partial to the OSDL Patent Commons -- which isn't aimed at
creating a body of patents in the hands of a single organization whose
good intentions might change in time, and which isn't focused solely on
Linux.

  http://www.patentcommons.org/

Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your hammer, everything starts
to look like your thumb."