[NCLUG] The Microsoft vs. Red Penguins Thread

Katy G. B. katy at dystonia-dreams.org
Fri May 18 18:37:18 MDT 2007

    *with Goodness in heart: thoughts &feelings of Goodness, warmth,
&love!*

while it like totally ticked me off when ms came out and made these
accusations, especially with their /"threat of sueing indivuals"/ its
all clearly FUD.  as for organizing 'open source patents' its a way nice
idea but not only really pointless it would distract from what truly
needs to be done, which is to basically just make clear that their
claims are, if not without merit, at least next to impossible for them
to even do anything about.

with their own recent win with the supreme court making it much easier
to show something as just like an obvious evolution of 'software
development' vs. anything truly innovative,  and to even imagine
anything ms may hold a patent over as innovative is just laughable.  not
to mention anything covering 'graphic environments' and etc, like they
mentioned, is obviously going to have clear prior art.  the most valid
claim they may have may be over fvwm's win9x look 'n feel at best.  and
these would easily be defeated.  because where as art maybe copyrighted
its not patentable.

and with the continued and ever increasing work by the eff to over throw
'obvious' &prior art patents they would have no chance of winning
anything in any case like this.  not to mention the pr disaster it would
be.  ms sueing ever lil linux user would make the riaa's law suits look
almost nice.  which of course explains their own pr vp's immediate turn
around, being all like "oh no no we're not gonna sue..".  it was funny
at best.

sadly i feel the more attention the community give this FUD the more we
give ms what they want.  personally i feel like its just bs and we all
know it; so i sleep soundly.  always with a lil laugh imagining monkey
boy throwing a chair at bill gates(what do you bet that's happened
before, lol).

btw, just a quick note about over throwing stoopid patents.  if anyone
has any like cheap-bytes cd-roms(or others) prior to 1994 that contain
hyper-links the eff could really use them.  anyone can read more
here(@eff:Prior Art Needed)
<http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005254.php>.  and/or contact
Philip H. Albert
<mailto:phalbert at townsend.com?subject=Acacia%20Prior%20Art> with that
info or any tips, tricks, or ideas on getting/finding cd-roms and alike
that could help this cause.  /okay, personal plug/rant/babble like done./

/with Goodness, Love, &Caring: Blessed, Healthy, Hopeful, &Safe May We
All Always Be,
        Katy, we're all many *sparklingDREAMS*/
Get Firefoxdownload Firefox & rediscover the web!
<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/>