[NCLUG] Are you running a local nameserver?

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Wed Nov 7 13:05:11 MST 2007

Bob Proulx wrote:
> If you are running a local DNS nameserver, as most/many/some GNU/Linux
> users do, then you probably already have gotten notice that there has
> been a change to the IP address of one of the root nameservers.  Mark
> Andrews at the ISC recently sent out a message with the following
> title.  You may have already seen this message and if not then a quick
> web search will find it.
>
>   L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET has changed IP address to 199.7.83.42
>
> Let me take a moment and pass along this reminder to the NCLUG
> community that all nameserver configurations should be updated to
> accomodate this IP address change.  This is pretty simple and I will

Thanks for giving all the heads up.  But the tone needs to be
downplayed, this is not a critical update.

FWIW, this is completely unnecessary for people running BIND 9 (as long
as you don't have an explicit root "." zone specified in your
named.conf).  It will automatically be updated the next time you update
your distro.

And because what we've had for the last several years as a root list is
only used as a "hint" to lookup the current list when a nameserver
starts, all you have to do is stop and start your nameserver for it to
pick up the L-root change (works for BIND 8 and 9).

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com