[NCLUG] local end-user support

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 13:26:25 MST 2007

I hate to say this, but as an advanced support provider, trying to support
end-users in a Linux environment that you aren't directly responsible for
managing...  the market would be so niche it wouldn't be worth it.  With the
very nature of Linux being "here's a toy, put it together how you want it",
it would be really hard to do end-user support on the OS level.

Besides, most companies that would pay the rates would probably just have
someone on their own.

>From the professional angle, we (TechSmart) have not decided to pursue that
market but who knows... there may be a future for it.  As far as hardware
level support, I've been called to the shop several times for random SCO,
UX, Linux and such projects, and have done data recovery on some Linux
webservers for CSU, but we haven't really pursued the market thus far.

Now, as far as higher-end stuff - this group probably has a veritable
cornucopia of willing consultants :)

But you've got me curious now, too... anyone else think there's a market for
this sort of thing?

-DJ