[NCLUG] local end-user support

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Wed Nov 7 13:43:52 MST 2007

>  (which I wasn't...).  They booted it up into its Debian OS.  After
> fumbling around for a while, they realized that this was not a Windows
> skin, but something completely different (E16).  Half an hour later, I
> pointed out that it was Debian linux, and they immediately said "Oh,
> we don't support linux."
It's odd, to be commenting on my own words, but I also thought of
something else.  While the Geek Squad fumbled around, I remember feeling
so much mental anguish at them screwing around with my system; the
system that I spent hours configuring, compiling tweaked kernels,
getting all the laptop multimedia buttons working, and setting up my
init scripts perfectly for everything I would need.  I don't know about
any of you, but I wouldn't trust someone to wipe my Linux install and
reinstall.  I'm too particular with how I like my system.

However, how many mechanics throw you a wrench and ask you to fix their car?