[NCLUG] local end-user support

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Nov 7 13:40:00 MST 2007

Michael Milligan wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
>> I'm curious about something . . .
>>
>> MS Windows end-users have access to local, easily aquired support for
>> their systems.  Often such support is a rip-off, where some bored
>> know-nothing tech spends all day wiping hard drives and reinstalling the
>> OS and drivers from whatever CDs are brought in by the customer, but
>> sometimes it's worth something -- and regardless of whether the support
>> is any good, it's still *visible* support, so that people feel reassured
>> that they can get local support when they need it.
>>
>> Is there any end-user Unix/Linux support in this area?  If so -- how
>
> Well, this UG is "support" in this area.  Best-effort, of course.
>
>> easily can it be found?  Is it listed in a telephone book somewhere that
>> I haven't seen?  Is it easily located via Google?  Is it generally found
>> only via word of mouth?  Where can people get end-user support services
>> for non-Microsoft, non-Apple systems where people can get the "you don't
>> have to do anything, we'll do it for you" support they can expect to find
>> for MS Windows?
>
> I would do that... for $75/hour.  But nobody is willing to pay that, far
> as I know.
>
>> I just wonder whether such a thing exists around here.  I'm also
>> skeptical whether there's much of a market for it -- but if there's
>
> Not at pricing somebody trying run such a business (at least in the US)
> would need to survive, unfortunately.

All true, but the key phrase was "around here".

Even with Microsoft most "support" consists of phone or email contact,
often with somebody on another continent, not "around here".

There are plenty of outfits offering this type of support for Linux and
Open Source systems, and even some "around here". While I don't mean to
single them out for a plug, tummy.com is local and offers this sort of
thing I believe, but I'm sure there are others.

When RedHat went public their business model centered around giving away
software and selling support (though that has changed a bit).

With remote access just about any software problem can be handled by
somebody not "here", hardware is another matter but if you have an
extremely critical application you should have enough backup hardware to
be able to ship a dead machine away for work.

Personally I believe the OSS community gives great support, but if you
are looking for commercial support in the "somebody to sue" vein, there
are plenty of outfits that do that as well.

beww