[NCLUG] local end-user support

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Nov 7 14:05:31 MST 2007

Paul Hummer wrote:

>>  (which I wasn't...).  They booted it up into its Debian OS.  After
>> fumbling around for a while, they realized that this was not a Windows
>> skin, but something completely different (E16).  Half an hour later, I
>> pointed out that it was Debian linux, and they immediately said "Oh,
>> we don't support linux."
> It's odd, to be commenting on my own words, but I also thought of
> something else.  While the Geek Squad fumbled around, I remember feeling
> so much mental anguish at them screwing around with my system; the
> system that I spent hours configuring, compiling tweaked kernels,
> getting all the laptop multimedia buttons working, and setting up my
> init scripts perfectly for everything I would need.  I don't know about
> any of you, but I wouldn't trust someone to wipe my Linux install and
> reinstall.  I'm too particular with how I like my system.

True, but there are some gamer types running Enemy Territory servers or
the like on Linux who don't know much about how they are set up.

On the MythTV support list is it getting very common to see posts that
start "I am new to Linux and to MythTV", these folks installed Linux for
a singular purpose and some are really not interested in the OS.

I even saw Linux systems for sale at a local retail store (I don't want
to mention names but it referred to a post-medieval artistic revival
period). I asked if they would support the system if I bought it and
they said yes, not sure if that was true though.

beww