[NCLUG] local end-user support

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Wed Nov 7 19:04:59 MST 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> No, to the "wanting someone to sue" question.  A large part of the business
> customers just want you to have a vested interest in helping them.  This is
> why money comes into it.  If I get paid for fixing your computer, enough so
> that my house payment depends on it, then as long as I have a house payment
> you can expect that I'm going to spend the effort to make sure that you
> continue finding value in what I'm doing for you.

I was once asking an employer why he was so insistent on going with
Oracle instead of Postgres or mysql. He actually said it was because in
the case of trouble he could successfully sue them and expect to
collect. "Never try and sue poor people" he said, which  I guess is good
advice, in a way, but that attitude is also a lot of what's wrong with
American business today. :-)

(Actually I think he was wrong, having read Oracle licenses I think he
would have to have proved they had sent paid assassins to kill him in
order to win a suit, and even then he might lose :-))

I don't mean to disparage Oracle, their stuff is fast as blazes and
pretty rock solid IMHO.

But your point is well taken.

beww

beww