[NCLUG] What is a Linux User?

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Fri Nov 9 10:02:54 MST 2007

Paul Hummer wrote:
> This week, Chad started thread about entitled "local end-user support"
> that asked the question "Is there any local linux end user support?"
> This got me thinking about the nature of Linux (and *BSD) users, and why
> some "normal" computer services are not available to Linux users.  Is it
> because the business world doesn't completely acknowledge Linux as a
> viable OS?  Is it because people who use free software are poor, or just
> stingy with their money?
>
> There are many corporate services available for Windows desktop users
> that aren't necessarily *easily* available to Linux users.  One of these
> is Geek Squad's online backup.  While it's possible to backup up your
> Linux system to their online backup server, the process is VERY
> Windows-centric (and not really something my grandma would do).
> However, as an everyday Linux user (since 1998...), I've found solutions
> that work for me, like buying hardware and setting up my own backups,
> inside the LAN and off-site.  That just seems to be my nature.  An
> elementary example at best, but one that proves my point.  There is so
> specific Linux setup tool for the online backup.
>
> I guess what I'm getting at is, what is the "nature" of a Linux/*BSD
> user?  I've thought about those of you I've encountered at Hacking
> Society or the NCLUG meetings.  Some of them are minimalists, opting for
> the window manager with 8 desktops, each running a terminal.  Others are
> running full blown Gnome with every possible Compiz Fusion plugin
> imaginable.  Some use Evolution, while others opt for fetchmail and
> mutt.  Are Linux users "hackers" in the sense that they solve problems
> themselves, or are they just really lucky to have great systems?  What
> is it really that makes a Linux user tick?
>
> I look forward to your insights.

Certainly a Linux user (or most of them) (by your definition) is more
knowledgeable about computers than most Mac or Windows users (though
there are certainly very sharp folks who use Win/Mac at home, and it is
hard to sell somebody a "service" that they can perform themselves.

It's hard to sell a professional auto mechanic an oil changing service
(though there may be some who just don't want to bother).

I don't think you really save any significant money by running Linux,
what you do save on the OS and proprietary software probably gets spent
on additional hardware (at least in my case).

Many Linux users work with computers in some way at their jobs, or have
in the past, or learned some Unix variant in school.

Many are just contrarians, such as myself. They just don't like doing
things the usual way. It's not that I don't have the $$$ to send Bill
Gates, but I think the last thing he needs is my money.

Linux is, to many, a superior product, but perhaps in the same way that
a racing car is "superior" to my pickup truck. I wouldn't want to see
everyone driving indy cars to the market.

Linux can provide a superior product for some applications. My MythTV
system blows away any commercial PVR/DVR system, but I'd be the first to
admit it's not the best answer for a lot of consumers.

If I had to sum up the difference between Linux and Win/Mac users
succinctly I'd say it was 3 things: Awareness, ability and need, and the
latter might well be just a "need" to be different in some way.

I suspect most Linux users on this list would fall into the "hobbyist"
category in some way, even if they make their living with Linux.

(And yes, this was written on a Mac, I love the display, but It's
sitting between two Linux machines and connected to them via VNC and
SSH. The only Windows install I have is under VNC, I need it for some
proprietary hardware that has only Windows drivers (Blackberry and an
OBDII reader/programmer).

beww