[NCLUG] What is a Linux User?

ycsapo ycsapo at mines.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:52:29 MST 2007

I can only speak for myself, of course. Maybe I'm not exactly a hacker
in the sense you propose, but I'm certainly a tinkerer. I won't go into
the "Linux in the corporation" side of this (although that is a big part
of what I do), but from a personal point of view:

(Please keep in mind that I moved to this country ~5 years ago and some
of the things I do/did/learn might not apply to "natives")

- - When my garbage disposal stopped working, it took me a couple of hours
but I took it apart myself (having never seen one before), found the
problem and fixed it.

- - I taught myself some basic dry-walling so I could add a "wood niche"
to the wall beside my fireplace.

- - When I got tired of the carpet I had, I removed it and installed hard
wood floors by myself (well, my wife helped :), learning a lot in the
process.

- - I change the oil and do minor maintenance to my own car.

- - I installed my own garage door opener.

So that's the pattern I guess. I like the fact that I can do most of
what I want on my computer without asking somebody and without having to
worry about licensing. The freedom Free/Open Source software provides is
unparalleled. I can go as far as I want (and am capable of), all the way
to the intricacies of some driver or kernel module. Without having to
ask anyone, did I mention that already?

Yuri

Paul Hummer wrote:
> This week, Chad started thread about entitled "local end-user support"
> that asked the question "Is there any local linux end user support?"
> This got me thinking about the nature of Linux (and *BSD) users, and why
> some "normal" computer services are not available to Linux users.  Is it
> because the business world doesn't completely acknowledge Linux as a
> viable OS?  Is it because people who use free software are poor, or just
> stingy with their money?
>
> There are many corporate services available for Windows desktop users
> that aren't necessarily *easily* available to Linux users.  One of these
> is Geek Squad's online backup.  While it's possible to backup up your
> Linux system to their online backup server, the process is VERY
> Windows-centric (and not really something my grandma would do).
> However, as an everyday Linux user (since 1998...), I've found solutions
> that work for me, like buying hardware and setting up my own backups,
> inside the LAN and off-site.  That just seems to be my nature.  An
> elementary example at best, but one that proves my point.  There is so
> specific Linux setup tool for the online backup.
>
> I guess what I'm getting at is, what is the "nature" of a Linux/*BSD
> user?  I've thought about those of you I've encountered at Hacking
> Society or the NCLUG meetings.  Some of them are minimalists, opting for
> the window manager with 8 desktops, each running a terminal.  Others are
> running full blown Gnome with every possible Compiz Fusion plugin
> imaginable.  Some use Evolution, while others opt for fetchmail and
> mutt.  Are Linux users "hackers" in the sense that they solve problems
> themselves, or are they just really lucky to have great systems?  What
> is it really that makes a Linux user tick?
>
> I look forward to your insights.
>

> Paul
>
> P.S. When I say linux user, I mean those who use it on their desktop (or
> laptop) as an everyday system, not those who have some linux systems in
> the server room, but use Windows or Mac for their private use.

- --
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
CT-256
Phone:  (303) 273-3503
Fax:      (303) 273-3475
Email:   ycsapo at mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
- --Peter J. Schoenster