[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Fri Nov 9 16:23:27 MST 2007

Jim Bragonier wrote:

> Linux is not a consumer operating system because it is not promoted as
> such.  It should be the operating system of choice for all governments
> in the USA, but probably will never achieve that... unless Linux users
> continue to provide consumer and eventual public support!  Fort Collins
> could be a leader in this movement and realize a significant savings...
> has anyone ever suggested such a thing to the City Managers or City
> Council?  Want to create a NCLUG/FRPCUG SIG to investigate the
> possibility???

A good start would be something like Germany and, I believe,
Massachusetts are looking at: not allowing any government documents to
be in a proprietary format. M$ not going along with the Open Document
format is very stupid in the long run.

A long time ago I worked for the Ft. Collins Cable TV Co. (He ducks
quickly, and adds that this was over 25 years ago).

At that time the City had a "Technology Agent" (I think his name was
Barry Selburg), whose job was to try and keep Ft. Collins at the
forefront of technology. Among other things he set up the first
municipal bus routes (remember when they had the Mercedes buses?). He
also got the City to start using electric vehicles (the ones you always
saw being towed back to City Hall).

I wonder if that position still exists, and if whoever is filling it
would be approachable on issues such as you bring up.

beww