[NCLUG] OSS a Hard Sell to Consumers

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Fri Nov 9 17:21:08 MST 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 02:00:31PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> It was mentioned here that consumers often hesitate to use free
>>> software. Too true.
>>>
>> But yet it seems that many consumers will pirate rather than purchase the
>> commercial software.  Oh the irony...
>>

> That's it! Advertise OSS software on the net for thousands of dollars,
> then post "hints" to "pirate" sites.
>
> It should be in use by the entire world in mere weeks.
This worked really well for me. *shrug*

When I was considering Linux, I found a product called Win4Lin (not sure
if it's still around) that allowed you to run Linux inside Windows (so I
could learn the system).  It was not free, and I spent HOURS trying to
download it, to no avail (I now realize it must have simply been a VM
type setup).  Finally, a friend's boyfriend managed to download all 7
Red Hat cds and he burned them for me in exchange for spare system parts
I had laying around that I intended on building a system with.