[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Nov 11 14:00:35 MST 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 06:12:49PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I found this following article very interesting reading.  It ties
> right in with what you are saying here.
>
>   http://articles.tlug.jp/Windows_Is_Free

I found it quite interesting, too.  I don't agree 100% with the
conclusions -- I think it's a case of trying to apply part of the answer
to a question as the *only* answer[1] -- but it makes excellent points.

[1]: I think the fact that MS Windows comes "free" with new hardware a
lot of the time is about as big a contributor to the perception of MS
Windows as "free" as the availability and ubiquity of "illegal" use of MS
Windows.  In fact, I think the universality of preinstalled MS Windows on
new computers helps contribute to the availability of "illegal" MS
Windows installs -- after all, it is often illegal to give away a
computer with MS Windows installed on it, even if it was legal to keep it
and use it yourself, according to the licensing terms.  The line between
legal and illegal use of MS Windows becomes hopelessly blurred because of
ridiculous situations like that.

Kent Beck: "I always knew that one day Smalltalk would replace Java.  I
just didn't know it would be called Ruby."