[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

Daniel Herrington nclug at iherr.com
Sun Nov 11 22:04:37 MST 2007

Chad,

Like you, Linux isn't my first OS of choice (anymore). I'm curious
what configuration of FreeBSD you're running now, and on what
platform. I'll share some of my experiences with Linux.

I've been a Linux user for about 12 years (I got started with
Slackware, when it took a ridiculous number of floppies to install
everything). Recently, I've moved from using a Debian Linux box as my
main machine at home (for about 6 years) to using a Mac for most
things (beginning when Mac OS X Panther came out), and Linux on
occasion. Here are some of my reasons:

1. I got tired of maintaining the OS internals myself. It was a real
pain to try out a new program and have to compile it from scratch and
then find out that I needed to install 10 new libraries or a new
kernel just to be able to try the program. Then I'd find out that
installing the new kernel broke some previously working
functionality, like my wireless network adapter driver.

2. I'm still frustrated when trying to browse certain websites with
the Linux version of Firefox. For example, Best Buy and Circuit City
have menus that are supposed to pop down in front of the flash
animation, but instead they just disappear behind the flash. And
forget about viewing quicktime movie trailers on Linux.

3. I wanted better integration between applications, and better
compatibility with MS-generated documents, like Word, Excel, and
Powerpoint. When I click on an attached Word document in an email, I
want it to open in MS Word. When someone sends me photos in an email,
I want to be able to add them effortlessly to my photo collection.
And if I want to edit video from my camcorder, insert photos from my
camera, and add a soundtrack and DVD menus and burn it to a DVD, I
shouldn't have to know things like how to convert from DV to MPEG2.
It should just happen automatically.

4. I'm required to use a Linux workstation at work (running RHEL4),
and it's irritating that I can only change screen resolutions,
rotation settings, or color depths if I have the root password, which
I don't.

5. Also at work, my particular USB flash drive isn't recognized on my
RHEL4 box, but it works just fine on a coworker's box even though
it's got the same OS. What gives?

6. Even though the GUIs available for Linux have come a long way in
the last 10 years (like Gnome and KDE), in my opinion they're still
behind something like the GUI on a Mac.

I still use Linux on my old autonomous robot. I've got handmade wire-
wrapped PC/104 cards stacked on a single board computer and an
investment of time in the corresponding programming code I developed
for them. However, I'm considering using a Mac mini in my next robot
(with everything connected via USB). The beauty of using a Mac is
that it's a derivative of BSD UNIX under the hood, so it's like
having a Linux box that I can pay someone else (a.k.a. Apple) to
maintain for me.

Also, since VMWare Fusion for Mac came out, I am now able to run
Windows XP applications in "Unity" mode so that they run "rootless"
and just become native windows on the Mac OS X desktop. I can even
install multiple Linux distros (like Ubuntu 7.10 and Debian 4.1)
inside virtual machines on my Mac, so I can get the best of Mac,
Linux, and Windows.

I probably won't give up Linux completely (for the foreseeable
future), but it's definitely more of a "if you break it, you own all
the pieces" kind of OS. And Linux is a good platform to keep alive
for Mac users, because Linux apps can be ported fairly easily to the
Mac, since the Mac has GCC and X11 and the corresponding libraries. I
use Gimp all the time on my Mac, and I'm appreciative of the Open
Source community for putting in all the hard work to make that possible.

I know my situation probably doesn't match anyone else's exactly, but
for my purposes, a mixture of Mac/Linux/Windows is best. Of course,
as they say, "your mileage may vary."

If you haven't done it already, I'd recommend going into an Apple
Store or a Best Buy and sitting down in front of a Mac. Go into
Applications/Utilities, open up a Terminal, and start typing Linux/
UNIX commands on the command-line. Try out different shells (tcsh,
bash, ksh, etc.). Try perl, rsync, ssh, cron, or curl. Try find and
mdfind (metadata find). Use "open filename" to open a file in its
associated application. Launch PhotoBooth, iTunes, and iPhoto. Give
GarageBand, iMovie, and iDVD a try. Download Firefox for Mac, or
Camino. Look at the Parental Controls in Account Preferences. Try out
the built-in Text-to-Speech. Try out Front Row with the IR remote.

Oh, and there's also a budding development effort called "MacPorts"
that aims to put lots of Linux/UNIX apps on the Mac. Check out http://
www.macports.org (formerly http://www.darwinports.org). It uses the
port command and apt-get. And I can't forget to mention fink (http://
finkproject.org).

I'm sure I'm not going to talk you or anyone else into getting a Mac
if you don't already have one, but I wanted to share my own reasons
for having made that transition.

Best Regards,
Daniel