[NCLUG] Re: Thoughts on Linux Users

John L. Bass jbass at dmsd.com
Tue Nov 13 15:24:21 MST 2007

Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:08:05PM -0700, John L. Bass wrote:
> >
> > That the linux GUI is finally catching up to the Mac, some 25 years late,
> > isn't a good thing. It means we have missed 25 years of ground breaking
> > innovation.
>
> I'm afraid I have to disagree with this part of your characterization of
> the difference between Unix-like systems and Macs with regard to UI
> design.
>
> X is broken in a number of ways, and could reasonably be improved or
> replaced by some quite drastic changes.  Much of the core design
> philosophy, however, involves some advances that still have not been
> touched by either Apple or Microsoft, twenty years later.

Actually, I made the same comment when the BSD folks split off from UCB
to make FreeBSD a product. They were cloning a old design, rather than
advancing the state of the Art in computer software. While their have
been some structural improvements in Linux over the years, it's still
an old "Me Too" design that has been mature for decades in the Sun Solaris
and SCO OpenDesktop products.

The advancement, would have been to put the energies which produced FreeBSD
and Linux into a next generation redesign and architecture.

John

FYI ...  http://www.dnull.com/bsd/oldnews/bsdnew10288.html