[NCLUG] WoW on 3d systems that's not ATI or NVidia?

Benson Chow blc at q.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 14 12:00:08 MST 2007

I was meaning to go and take a look at others' setups but I had to go get
that certain 271MB download started last night :-)

But anyway, I so rarely hear about getting Wine and WoW working on systems
that are not ATI/fglrx or NVidia based systems.  In fact, I hear more
about ATI setups than any other for some reason or another.

My dilemma is that I'm trying to run on a G965 system (Gentoo Linux).  I'm
using the 1.7.4 video-i810 drivers, and 3D accel is working (glxgears is
comparable to my R8500 machine when it was working properly.)  The latest
version of Wine/xorg-server appears to make the whole X server crash,
leaving the console in a hung state, requiring a reboot to restore console
usage :(  The 2.1.0 video-intel drivers do not work with my monitor, as I
seem not to be able to set timings manually with this version.

Has anyone successfully run on a non-mainstream graphics adaptor (intel,
matrox, ???)  Perhaps with the 2.1.0 Intel driver?

(okay, it wasn't just that 271MB download.  Was also trying to get Xen
working on my Poweredge 3250 too...)