[NCLUG] "Professionals" (Was "local-end user support")

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:23:26 MST 2007

You know, you bring up an excellent point.

It's so frustrating when clients will not consult you when the decision
needs to be made, but will expect you to 'just make it work' after the wrong
product has already been bought...

I feel for you tho- freelancing is both the best and worst thing in the
world depending on what the circumstances are.

>From my experience those that are in that situation are always brought in *
after* the bad decision was already made.  It's sooooo much easier when you
can convince your client to be involved with the "Big Picture" decisions
before they're made.

I blame sales people.  It's their job to make the sale, even if it means
making it sound like your product will be able to do something.  Words like
"capable" are used a lot in sales.  "Capable" doesn't mean "Does", but the
average CEO doesn't hear that, now do they?  :)

Hopefully that won't offend any sales people out there, but I share your
frustrations...  It's hard to feel like you're adding value when all your
doing is being an electronic janitor, cleaning up other peoples' messes.

-DJ

PS - the day I find an actually universally usable CRM is the day I'll be
able to retire happy :)