[NCLUG] Backup idea

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Thu Oct 11 13:07:13 MDT 2007

Michael Milligan wrote:
> Assuming this is a file server you are talking about, you should use
> AFS.  This is all built-in (snapshots) and can all be automated (i.e.,
> this wheel has already been invented and perfected).  E.g., write
> incremental backup snapshot to tape daily, full backup to tape weekly,
> reclaim snapshot space after full weekly backup.  AFS keeps the snapshot
> in a consistent state while the backup runs.  And the oldest backup is
> automatically "deleted" if you rotate tapes.  (Doesn't have to be tape,
> can be another array like you're doing.)

What I primarily rely on for my backup strategy, however, is volume
mirroring.  You can have a volume live on two or more AFS file servers
(in my case, one in my office and the other in FRII's co-lo), so that's
what I use for all critical data (work files).

Did I mention AFS is open source?  http://www.openafs.org/

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948