[NCLUG] system hangs for 5-10 seconds every few minutes

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Sep 1 11:52:43 MDT 2007

Daniel Herrington wrote:
> My embedded Debian box is hanging for 5-10 seconds every minute or two.

How are you logging into this machine?  Are you using ssh?

How much memory does your embedded machine have?

Is it swapping?  Look at the si/so (swapin/swapout) fields here:

  vmstat

> Keystrokes don't even show up during this, and then they catch
> up after the hang. It's getting really annoying. I tried running "top
> -d 1" in another terminal, but since it does the same thing, I don't
> think I'm seeing the problem process(es).

The top program is also pausing at this same time?  Is the load
average very high when it comes back?

> What's the best way to go about debugging this?

I admit that I don't know but more information would still be useful.

Bob