[NCLUG] system hangs for 5-10 seconds every few minutes

Daniel Herrington nclug at iherr.com
Sat Sep 1 15:15:27 MDT 2007

Bob,

I'm using ssh over a usb wireless 802.11b adapter. The embedded
machine has 128MB of memory. I tried vmstat, and it shows 0 for both
si and so. The top program is also pausing, and when I tried it with
"top -b -d 1 | tee top.txt", the top.txt never showed more than about
20% cpu usage by the user, and never more than about 11% by the
system. A couple of processes that I'm wondering about are kjournald
and NetworkManager. Maybe these are too resource-intensive for my
measley Pentium 200 MMX single-board computer.

It would be nice if I could see how much cpu time all the processes
on the system took over a given period of time.

Daniel