[NCLUG] Speakers for 2007/2008?

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Tue Sep 4 23:34:21 MDT 2007

I wonder if anyone has an idea or an open source project that can be
developed as a LUG.  Maybe something we can sprint on even.  At Hacking
Society, I love to work on projects, but there's also a social aspect I
enjoy.  I'd like to work with those in the LUG on a project and see what
might come out of it (the FR-Pythoneers group in Boulder is solely
responsible for Oracle integration in Django).  Is there any interest in
that, in any language or application?  I'm open to ideas.
>    Does anyone have anything they'd like to speak on, or know someone they
>    think would be good to speak to NCLUG?  Any sort of a technical
>    presentation related to Linux specifically or computing in general would
>    probably go over well.

I'd be interested in seeing a presentation on collaboration suites
similar to MS Exchange, but free and open source.  I've seen
phpgroupware and egroupware, and heard about SuSe's commercial packaging
of OpenExchange, but I'd like to see a comparison between all of them.
>> Security - what's changed on the threat scene? what is good security
>> practice?

As a developer mainly, I don't get to see much black box testing (i.e.
testing without knowing the underpinnings).  I'd like to hear about some
of the tools and the process of using those tools to find attack vectors
in compiled and web scripted software.  I'm curious to see a great
breakdown of the process of finding exploits, etc.  Maybe a presentation
similar to Damn Vulnerable Linux's training videos.
>> Massive Multiplayer Games
>>

> I really don't know of anyone doing this sort of thing around here under
> Linux.  Any ideas?

Like Chad, I've gotten WoW to run on Linux.  I also need an excuse to
look at the more open source and native Linux based MMORPGs as well as
some of the other popular linux games (I've seen some FPGs, etc.)  That
might be interesting to talk about or see someone else talk about.

Evelyn also mentioned using Linux to monitor sensors, etc.  I'd be
interested in lopping that in with a talk about my "Mobile Hacker
Project" that I've been working on.  It's a project comprised of
war-driving, car-pcs, and a cheap lo-jack system.  Maybe someone else
would find it of interest.

I'd also like to see a good hardware hacking talk.  It is a LUG, but
it's also closely intertwined with Hacking  Society, and Hacking Society
is pretty platform agnostic.

Paul