[NCLUG] gnome-open configuration or alternative

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Wed Sep 5 11:02:20 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 14:19 -0700, S. Luke Jones wrote:

> (2) a non-gnome-specific alternative, ideally with a simple .openrc
> file or something like that where I could assign a specific
> app-opening command for each file type.

I think most distros support the "update-alternatives" concept now.  For
your particular situation, you'd likely want to type:

"sudo update-alternatives --config gnome-text-editor", and pick the text
editor you want gnome to use.  "sudo update-alternatives --all" will
take you through the whole list of alternatives (there are a lot).

Also, in gnome, you can use nautilus (the gnome file browser) to set up
file opening preferences.  Simply open a directory with a .txt file
(from your "Places" menu), then right click on a .txt file.  Choose
"Properties" from the drop-down menu, and select the "Open With" tab.

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>