[NCLUG] Speakers for 2007/2008?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Sep 16 15:42:55 MDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 11:34:21PM -0600, Paul Hummer wrote:
>I wonder if anyone has an idea or an open source project that can be
>developed as a LUG.  Maybe something we can sprint on even.  At Hacking

We tried it once long ago, 6 or 7 years ago.  Running a good sprint is
hard.  We internally do it in tummy.com for some things, and have arranged
our own smaller sprints on vPostMaster.  If anyone was really interested in
participating on any of those, we might be able to arrange such a thing.

It does pretty much end up being a full day that you'd need to commit to
it if you want to make any progress on it.  Maybe even two.  I know the
Front Range Pythoneers is trying to do sprints, but they don't happen that
frequently that I know of.

>I'd be interested in seeing a presentation on collaboration suites
>similar to MS Exchange, but free and open source.  I've seen
>phpgroupware and egroupware, and heard about SuSe's commercial packaging
>of OpenExchange, but I'd like to see a comparison between all of them.

Anyone got experience with these that could talk on them?

>As a developer mainly, I don't get to see much black box testing (i.e.
>testing without knowing the underpinnings).  I'd like to hear about some
>of the tools and the process of using those tools to find attack vectors
>in compiled and web scripted software.  I'm curious to see a great

Anyone able to talk on this subject?

>Evelyn also mentioned using Linux to monitor sensors, etc.  I'd be
>interested in lopping that in with a talk about my "Mobile Hacker
>Project" that I've been working on.  It's a project comprised of
>war-driving, car-pcs, and a cheap lo-jack system.  Maybe someone else
>would find it of interest.

This would be great.  Is this something you can talk about in February or
later of 2008?  Pick a month and let's put it on the schedule.

>I'd also like to see a good hardware hacking talk.  It is a LUG, but
>it's also closely intertwined with Hacking  Society, and Hacking Society
>is pretty platform agnostic.

Perhaps another multi-person talk?  Anyone interested in presenting
something on this topic?

Thanks,
 There is a time for daring and a time for caution, and a wise man knows
 which is called for.  -- _Dead_Poet's_Society_