[NCLUG] Installfest anyone?

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Apr 3 19:30:34 MDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Jim Hutchinson wrote:

> Paul, I'm pretty much willing to help with anything - especially
> when it's
> local. It will depend on the when, however, so I can't say for sure
> yet.
>
> Locations can be hard but I think if we hit up some local business
> like
> coffee shops (Paul and I discussed this somewhat before but just
> reiterating
> for the rest) or places like CSU or the library we will find
> something. I
> don't know for sure, but it should be easy to set up a table or two
> at CSU;
> it seems like they always have events going on. They must have a
> computer
> group of some sort that we could partner with as well. Any CSU
> students on
> the list that could check?

I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help as well.

One thing that would be nice to have would be a hard-wired ethernet
port to the internet. We could set up a router and (perhaps multiple)
switchers and/or hubs.

You really want net access for installation, but I don't think you
want everyone to have to deal with 802.11 setup, as most desktops
don't need it, and some laptops are problematical in that regard.
Getting wireless working should be something you do after the OS is up
and running (though in a lot of cases you can actually do an install
using wireless, if you have a well-supported device, don't have to
fool with ndiswrapper etc.).

FRCC is also a possibility for asking for space and/or support. I'd
expand your question about CSU to include them, as well as include
faculty as well as students. I know a couple of professor types at
CSU, they're humanities-oriented, but maybe they can suggest to me
someone to talk to, I'll certainly ask them.

Might even consider asking the City of FC if they have anything
available, or even a High School?

I'm sure I could get space and network at my local CC, but I don't
think everyone would want to have to drive to Wyoming :-)

In the case of a coffee shop or the like, which has wireless access,
we could of course set up a bridge and a router to get multiple hard-
wire ports, but it would be nice to have a solid-copper path, fewer
variables :-)

beww