[NCLUG] Installfest anyone?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Apr 6 17:03:07 MDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 06:05:11PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2008, at 5:24 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> >Whether or not I'd sign up for a shirt depends on what's on the
> >shirt, I
> >guess.
>
> Likewise, I guess I was naive in assuming that was a given.

I should add that anything too explicitly Linux-oriented is less likely
to get me excited, since my last remaining Linux system is just something
too old and unimportant to bother upgrading at the moment.  Walking
around with some big happy Tux on my chest would be a bit like an MSN
butterfly for me -- in that I don't even use the stuff, generally, so I
don't see much point in advertising it.

What I'd really like to advertise is the LUG, not Linux.  I come to the
meetings for the presentations and the people, not the penguins, and
that's what I'd like to show off on a shirt.

> Personally I'm always willing to pay more for a better shirt, pockets
> and/or collars are nice to have, the former because you have to have
> someplace to put your plastic pocket protector, the latter so you can
> get into some restaurants, though I guess that's not a big problem
> around here :-)

I'd actually prefer t-shirts rather than polo shirts.  For one thing,
they allow for better shirt-front graphics advertising the LUG.  For
another, I look terrible in polo shirts (rather than merely bad in
t-shirts).

I really like long-sleeved t-shirts.

. . . and I'd really appreciate it if you'd have some shirts made in
medium and smaller sizes.  I don't want to walk around in a tent (XXL),
and it would be nice if you had a shirt size that would fit Lisa.

> While the "organic" aspect is of some interest to me, I'm more
> concerned about whether they were made by workers making a decent wage
> under safe conditions, and that the workers were not 12-year-olds or
> younger.  This can often be very difficult to determine.

I'd also lean toward local sole proprietorships and LLCs over publicly
traded corporations, both for the shirts themselves and for the design
and printing -- but I'd settle for a huge multinational corporate slave
farm produced shirt, too, if that's all I could get.

Phillip J. Haack: "Productivity is not about speed. It's about velocity.
You can be fast, but if you're going in the wrong direction, you're not
helping anyone."