[NCLUG] Re: Ubuntu sound problems--Installfest question

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Apr 10 16:49:32 MDT 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Walker, Philip M (Managed Home) wrote:

> Hmm. ANy more thoughts? I haven't checked the BIOS yet. This was a
> very common eMachine before I hacked it to pieces. One option is a
> cheap SoundBlaster Live! card to use with Linux, but then I'm hoping
> that windows doesn't completely choke on me for having 3 sound cards.

I'm hesitant to mention this, considering the remarks about non-free
drivers :-)

In the past I have had systems that had problems with the free and
included Linux sound drivers. I got sound drivers that worked well from:

http://www.opensound.com/

Not free, I know, but certainly reasonable.

I haven't dealt with these folks in many years though, I have no idea
if they are current on things. Linux has moved from OSS to ALSA, but I
see no reason OSS can't still be used.

beww