[NCLUG] My attempts using /dev/random...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Apr 15 20:35:28 MDT 2008

>Tell me, then -- what *is* the system entropy pool, and how do you think
>it differs functionally from random seeds?

That's not the question.  You were previously asserting that /dev/random
was just a PRNG fed by a seed.  It is not.  That is /dev/urandom.
/dev/random directly exposes an entropy pool, in a cryptographically secure
way, to the user.  It is not a PRNG using a seed in any way that I think
the rest of us would agree fits the definition.

That's the point I think Jim is trying to make, and you are missing.

 Get your data structures correct first, and the rest of the program will
 write itself.  -- David Jones