[NCLUG] Ubuntu 8.04 - CLI mode

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Aug 8 14:18:44 MDT 2008

Rob Bayerl wrote:
> > CAD vendor is in love with csh scripting.  They write #!/bin/csh
> > scripts as glue wrappers around their tools.  They assume that the
> > user is running [t]csh.
>
> Maybe I'm confused but isn't the purpose of the wrapper to ensure the
> script is parsed by the required tool, independent of the running
> shell?

If they had done things better then that would be true.  But instead
they insist upon the user sourcing scripts written in csh to perform
actions and to set up environment variables and therefore they break
the encapsulation layer.  It isn't impossible to run Cadence and
Synopsys tools without also running csh (I ran bash and everything can
be made to work fine) but if you do then you need to be able to be
self-supported at debugging the issues and comfortable at modifying
the vendor's scripts and patching them when they are updated.

Bob