[NCLUG] Re: DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:24:52 MDT 2008

Heh.

Not to mention that the 'ping times' reported in most games aren't even
a very good metric to begin with.  If you can't see the packet size, TTL
and other data, it's impossible to determine latency.

Though I will say that recently I tried to implement a QoS solution (BSD
pf based) that turned a p2p T1 with 6ms average latency into a 120 ms
average latency line.  Sometimes, it really is your routers.

The one client we're having some major issues with right now has decided
to open a 'branch office' of 2 employees in Texas, but wants to have all
the files available to them down there from the main office here.
The problem is that they're a design firm, and CAD files can get pretty
huge and they generally don't want to deal with compression.

The biggest problem with them is they can't justify a T-1 at either
location, so they're stuck with DSL in both places.
I don't know how many of you have tried to run a Windows Server PPTP
(VPN) connection site-to-site like that before but it's crazy slow
because of exactly what John was talking about with dropped packets.  It
basically takes what should look like I-25 and turns it into a Shanghai
side road (just as many cars, just not as organized).  The scary thing
is that we're actively talking about pushing port-to-port DFS (it would
work better because it's bit-level, but security is incredibly
compromised with those ports open like that).

I'll let you all know anything I find out on this that doesn't cost an
arm+leg+firstborn.  Clients like this not willing to spend money for
T-1s certainly aren't going to go for a $10,000 solution, but it's
something of a hot topic for us right now.  I'm sure a $5,000 solution
might fly as long as it was a one-time expense but I'm not smart enough
to write something myself.  I'm just surprised I can't find an open
source solution, given how widespread the problem is.

-DJ