[NCLUG] Re: DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:14:02 MDT 2008

Here's some of my research on the topic of Latency:
http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/frame/2006/0501wan2.html
http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/its-still-the-latency-stupid/
http://slaptijack.com/system-administration/what-is-tcp-window-scaling/
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=487772

Of course the professional solutions:
http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=33886&ntref=hp_nav_US
https://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/application_acceleration/wan_acceleration/wx_application_acceleration/index.html
http://www.riverbed.com/index.php?cnt=1
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/prod_qas0900aecd805d22f5.html

This year's Olympics were a good test for Cisco:
http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/accel/2008/081108netop1.html?page=1

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion-
The main problem we're running into with this stuff is keeping files
synced- scp would tend to overwrite files that maybe shouldn't be
overwritten and wouldn't do bit-level changes with a specific algorithm
to determine version-winning (unless I'm mistaken on that??).

But if they're penny-pinching I may suggest this as an alternative; no
sense in buying a Windows Server for two people in Texas.  Honestly a
$500 Linux server may do them just as much good but keeping those files
synced properly will be the big make/break thing.

For the time being, I think I'll stick to the more general looking at
ways to 'squeeze more' out of existing connections.
There is a project that's not even to Alpha yet that's dealing with
compressing traffic streams (http://trafficsqueezer.sourceforge.net)- I
thought it looked promising but I can't deploy anything like that clear
out in Texas :)  I also don't know how well it'd do with non-leased
lines (DSL), but it's something I hope that we'll start seeing ISPs deploy.