[NCLUG] Re: DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:54:01 MDT 2008

Since there was a lot of discussion on this thread, I had an interesting
experience recently I thought I'd share.

The other day I went to download an ISO using BitTorrent (Fedora 9, for
those that really wanted to know).

I found that almost immediately upon initiating the download, my
connection went to crap; ping times of over 2 seconds, dropped packets;
horrible!  Oddly enough I could download most things internet wise okay
and the various speed tests out there said I was fine.

I killed the transfer and things recovered... sort of.

I called Qwest and they got into the router to discover everything
looked okay, but they'd send a tech out to check the lines.

The tech came this morning (on time, polite and even called first to
make sure I was there, I might add) and found that there was some wires
in the jackplate exposed just enough to cause some line noise.  He
cleaned it up (should have charged me but he didn't) and put everything
back together- BAM- I'm downloading at 10Mb/sec.

Long and short of it- I can't describe as well as others on this list
obviously could- but as I understand it, ADSL2+ is very good about
keeping a connection live by essentially 'throttling' a connection
that's experiencing noise.  Take care of the noise- you're at full
speed.  In my case, the S/N margin for the upstream was unacceptable, so
I could only sustain about 254Kbit up, but even that was choppy.  Once
my margin got over 20, I was sitting pretty.

So, in my case, unless my understanding is completely wrong- it's not
Qwest that's throttling a lot of the time, it's the modem responding to
the line.  If you think about it, this makes sense- a torrent download
takes thousands of little packets swarming a connection to work; you
really need ideal situations for it to work well.

If you're in the part of town that has had the fiber upgrades this year
(half of Fort Collins), Qwest is rocking and I'm very impressed with the
speed, but their service has improved a great deal as well.

Just thought I'd share this- ironic that Comcast announced today that
they'll be calling people who exceed 250 GB per month.  Other than a
pr0n obsessed roommate in college, I don't know anyone who would even
come close to that...

Have a good labor day, everyone!

-DJ