[NCLUG] power supply size

Ben West mrgenixus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:44:22 MST 2008

I think this conversation has gone on long enough without a comment about
how size doesn't matter, it's how you use it!..

But I'm on the seasonic bandwagon, also, sometimes you can get an offbrand
made BY them for cheaper, I have an antec made by seasonic for example.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> wrote:

> Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> > A 450 watt PS or similar is probably more than sufficient for your needs.
> > think people often go overboard, but I also think a good power supply is
>
> I think the systems for a while were getting more and more power-hungry,
> and so the common move in the power supply side of things was to build
> bigger and bigger power supplies.  However, computer components have really
> gone the other direction.
>
> A quad core is probably going to be 95W TDP for the CPU.  That's going to
> be the largest single power consumer with the possible exception of the
> graphics.
>
> If you really want to buy just what you need, you need to go through the
> numbers.  Add up the components you want to be using in there, add around
> 15%, and that's about where you want to be.  According to numbers I've
> seen, power supplies tend to be most efficient at around 70 to 80% of their
> rated output.  So those "80+" high efficiency power supplies really mean
> 80% efficient at 75% of their output, and it can drop off significantly  if
> over or under driven...
>
> > worth the investment. I have a SeaSonic (this one I think
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151056) that is
>
> I also have a SeaSonic, I believe that bsoft recommended them to me, and
> I've been happy.  I have others as well.  Mostly, if you're spending over
> $100 you're probably going to get a pretty good power supply.
>
> For most of the home machines I've built recently I've been buying pretty
> much the smallest power supplies I can find, but I've been doing some
> pretty small machines like Core Solo.  Even for my quad 2.4 with 8GB of RAM
> and 10 drives (but no real video card to speak of) I've been using pretty
> small supplies, I think that has a 450 in it.
>
> > known to be well built. I'd also check for something with 80% or better
> > efficiency.
>
> Just be prepared, those do tend to be in the $100 and up price range.
> I think they're worth it, but many people seem to be looking for less
> expensive options...
>
> Sean
> --
> Sean Reifschneider, Member of Technical Staff <jafo at tummy.com>
> tummy.com, ltd. - Linux Consulting since 1995: Ask me about High
> Availability

/ˈmɪstər/ /ˈdʒɛnəsɪs/@/dʒi/ /meɪl/ /dɒt/ /kɒm/
Benjamin West