[NCLUG] Re: Eee PC Xandros

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Thu Dec 4 17:52:50 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM, <bwood at beww.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 December 2008 17:05:07 Chad Perrin wrote:
>

> > No, I don't think there's a Linux version available.  Before I got one,
> > I'd just check into its support for open source OSes.  Since it's just
> > idle speculation at this point, though, I don't know that I'll get around
> > to even finding out how well it's supported by anything in particular;
> > I'm just not likely to buy one any time soon.
>
> It's more that I just hate sending Bill more money for something I do not
> want
> and will not use. I don't see a price difference between the Linux and
> Windows netbooks, which seems odd, either MS is giving it away cheap or the
> makers are pocketing the difference.

I've read several accounts of people declining the Windows EULA and then
requesting a refund from the vendor. I guess the EULA says that if you don't
agree you can request a refund and vendors are grudgingly providing it. In
the unlikely event I ever buy a PC with windows I will be doing this. The
more people do this, the more vendors will be wanting to renegotiate their
contract with MS.

Speaking of dumping MS, looks like IBM is willing to try.

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-40459-140.html

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----