[NCLUG] [OT?] server rack wanted

bwood at beww.org bwood at beww.org
Sat Dec 6 14:24:54 MST 2008

On Saturday 06 December 2008 12:45:31 Chad Perrin wrote:
> Apologies for the somewhat off-topic email, but there don't seem to be
> any other NCLUG associated mailing lists where this would probably be
> more appropriate.
>
> I'm in the market for a server rack.  I'm not looking to spend a lot of
> money -- this is a want, and not a need, at this point.  My upper limit
> before the holidays is probably about $50 -- finances will be more
> carefully calculated once I see what the damage for the season will be,
> and that may go up (or down).
>
> If anyone knows of a party from whom I can get such a beast close to such
> a price range, please let me know.

Not so OT, a lot of Linux users have need of these.

Do you want a "rack" or a "cabinet". The former has only rails at the sides,
and will not support both the front and the rear of your hardware, as the
front and rear rails are only 4-6 inches apart.

A "cabinet" has sides, and has rails at the front and the rear, so it will
support the front and the back, and will accomodate rack slides. Some
cabinets have doors, front, rear or both.

Most modern servers require cabinets if you want to use rack slides. "Racks"
generally need to be bolted to the floor.

Normally I would ask if you want RCA or Western Electric hole spacing, and do
you want 10-32 or 12-24 threads? But WE spacing is almost never encountered
in IT gear (usually telephone and communications gear uses this).

Also, is height a factor? How tall do you want this to be?

If you want a "rack" (RCA spacing. 10-32, 7' tall) I can give you one gratis,
mail me off the list for more info if interested. I do not have any cabinets.

--
beww
beww at beww.org