[NCLUG] Re: xbox install - anybody got a dongle/game

mrbrown8 at juno.com mrbrown8 at juno.com
Fri Dec 26 23:04:53 MST 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:00:03 -0700 (MST) nclug-request at nclug.org writes:

> Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:55:14 -0700
> From: "John Gilmore" <jgilmore at glycou.com>
> Subject: Re: [NCLUG] Re: xbox install - anybody got a dongle/game
> DVD
> To: "Northern Colorado Linux Users Group" <nclug at nclug.org>
>
> How expensive was that chip? Sounds a great deal simpler to me...
> I'd rather
> solder something that mess around with a save game. Especially since
> messing
> around with a save game may mean I need to borrow a game, and a DVD
> drive,
> and the saved game hardware. And then return them all.

This is the chip I got:

http://www.modchipstore.com/Xbox-ModChip-Xecuter-2-6-CE-Official-16210.ht
ml

I *believe* that's where I got it too (it's been a while ago), but I see
that this site has it listed as "sold-out". The price listed on the site
($30) is about what I remember paying. Installation was pretty simple and
straightforward. Once it was installed, it bypassed the normal xbox
bootup with the chip's own builtin BIOS. In that, you would setup an IP
address for it because then you would FTP to the chip and upload your
preferred BIOS (cromwell, etc) to it. Like I said, installation of the
chip was easy enough. Installing XBMC though took some hoop jumping and
head scratching.

There's a reference guide of sorts at:

http://xbox-scene.com/modchips.php

that gives some info about who makes what and for what versions of xbox
hardware.

BTW, I tried emailing you earlier, but my email bounced:

<jgilmore at glycou.com>:
208.109.80.149 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 sorry, mail to that recipient is not accepted
(#5.7.1)
Giving up on 208.109.80.149.

HTH

--