[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Sun Feb 17 13:14:25 MST 2008

Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:54:12PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Paul Hummer wrote:
>>> Preface : While these questions are specifically for Brian, I think
>>> there's value in getting everyone else's ideas as well.
>> I'm actually working on a follow-up posting, but I'll respond here as a
>> preliminary to that. I'll get something more comprehensive put together
>> as soon as I can.
>>
>> Since the world is moving towards HD, I will only discuss solutions here
>> that have the capability of displaying HD. There are a lot of SD-only
>> solutions, some very tiny and silent, but they will ultimately become
>> obsolete.
>
> SD solutions are probably of some value to those of us who do not have HD
> televisions yet.

Good point, and there are some tremendous deals on analog capture
devices these days.

Supposedly analog broadcasting will stop on Feb. 2009, but the industry
has asked for and received extensions before, and I suspect a lot of
cable operators will still be transmitting analog.

Not for our benefit of course, but it will cost them time and money to
change out all the analog STBs they have in the field.

(BTW - a lot of cable companies are trying to tell their customers that
"The FCC is requiring us to go all digital". This is bunk, and rules
apply only to over-the-air broadcasting.)

So I can see building an analog system today, but I would make sure it
has a CPU/GPU combo that can do HD in the future, or at least be
upgraded to such capability.

I'm just being careful that I am not perceived as suggesting the
purchase of something that might not be useful in a year or two :-)

beww