[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Mon Feb 18 08:13:04 MST 2008

>> The big pisser if people are going to be replacing their TVs is the
>> waste of all those tubes.  Though I guess they're going to go
>> sometime.  Hopefully after someone figures out something nice to do
>> with all that leaded glass.
>
> The lead is the least of the problems. Phosphorous and various rare
> earths make a color CRT one of the most toxic things at the landfill.
> It's already illegal most places for a *business* to dispose of CRTs
> except by sending them to an EPA-certified facility (individuals may
> continue to do what they wish with them).

Just FYI, in Fort Collins, there is an  aggressive environmental law
that says it is illegal for anyone to throw away a TV, computer, or
other "large electronics."

Hasn't Europe been on the digital only thing for a while now?  Isn't
that why the DVR-type add on for the PS3 is only available in Europe?  I
can't imagine having to get my TV AND hi-def fixes so bad that I call
the cable company and scream that I can only see "Desperate Housewives"
(or some other equally stupid show) in /only/ 720i.

Paul