[NCLUG] MythTV Questions

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Feb 19 13:24:02 MST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 12:04:46PM -0700, Paul Hummer wrote:

> >I have a Comcast DVR right now.  It sucks, and costs me more money in the
> >long run than a MythTV setup should cost.
> >

> So what you're saying is:  "I have comcast cable"  This new "mandatory
> HD upgrade" that you're so afraid of doesn't even affect you.  Comcast
> can (and will) continue to send you SD content.  Shoot, they'll probably
> LOVE to service you, because you won't be complaining that X-competitor
> has more HD channels, because you don't care!

I guess I should just shut up and let my tax money to be spent on absurd
pork-barrel projects like this HDTV upgrade because "it doesn't affect
me", then.  Good plan.

> I don't see what the problem you're having is.  This law only affects
> over the air transmissions, and frankly, I WANT the government
> monitoring what is broadcast in the air on what frequencies.  Can you
> imagine 802.11g competing with GSM, HAM radios, your local NPR station,
> and Bluetooth?  I GOT Ham certified so I could ride Copper without
> having to deal with all those nasty kids on their parents' walkie
> talkies, and still be able to communicate with my friends.  It was a
> haven for me.
>
> What I WOULD like to see (and something more relevant to the list), is a
> linux device that is capable of being THE set top box.

The more government and corporate interests get in bed with each other,
the harder it'll get to develop that kind of technology.

McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your
time waving your hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do."