[NCLUG] Fedora 8 install

bsimpson at att.net bsimpson at att.net
Mon Feb 25 13:27:18 MST 2008

Kevin,

> > Actually it's from the statement:  resume /dev/sda8
> > that appears within the init file that is contained within the
> > initrd file.  (And I'm actually using lilo for various reasons, and
> > no resume option is being fed to the kernel.)
> >
> > So that's why I was looking at altering initrd.
>
> Odd. Thats the part where it's checking to see if it should resume from
> hibernate (which stores the image on your swap partition.).

I was guessing that was the reason for the "resume" statement.
Thanks for confirming that.

> I don't know why it would hang there...

My Fedora Core 4 installation uses the same partition for it's swap.
As long as FC4  was cleanly shutdown, is it safe to assume that sharing
would be no problem?  I've shared swaps before between different
Linux installations, but this is perhaps the first time an installation
was looking to see if it should resume.

> There have been a ton of updates since F8 was released... you might
> look at re-installing with the respin:
>
> http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-re-spin-20080204-released
>
> Which includes all the updates to feb 4th. Also, it contains some good
> installer fixes.

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I can't write out any CDs or DVDs
at the moment.

> Also, you might make sure you aren't passing 'quiet' to the boot line,
> and see if it shows you any further info on booting.

I don't think quiet is being passed in, but I won't be able to confirm
that until tomorrow night - work is getting in the way...

What about putting back together an initrd file once it's been extracted?
Is:  find . -depth | cpio -ov | gzip > newinitrd
a good command to use, issued from the directory that the original initrd
was extracted into?

Also the extracted initrd has a dev directory containing numerous device
files.  I don't have much knowledge of device files, but could they be
specific to not only the hardware but also to the OS version, and could
extracting and recreating a Fedora 8 initrd file using Fedora Core 4
cause problems?  In that case I should boot the F8 DVD in recovery mode
and do the work there.  Or is the Fedora version a non-issue?

Brian S