[NCLUG] Fedora 8 install

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Feb 26 20:49:47 MST 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:27:18 +0000
bsimpson at att.net wrote:

> Kevin,

...snip...

> > Odd. Thats the part where it's checking to see if it should resume
> > from hibernate (which stores the image on your swap partition.).
>
> I was guessing that was the reason for the "resume" statement.
> Thanks for confirming that.
>
> > I don't know why it would hang there...
>
> My Fedora Core 4 installation uses the same partition for it's swap.
> As long as FC4  was cleanly shutdown, is it safe to assume that
> sharing would be no problem?  I've shared swaps before between
> different Linux installations, but this is perhaps the first time an
> installation was looking to see if it should resume.

I wouldn't think it would cause any problems, but to be sure you could
boot from the f8 rescue disk and run a 'mkswap' on it to make sure it's
the right format.

> > There have been a ton of updates since F8 was released... you might
> > look at re-installing with the respin:
> >
> > http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-re-spin-20080204-released
> >
> > Which includes all the updates to feb 4th. Also, it contains some
> > good installer fixes.
>
> Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I can't write out any CDs or DVDs
> at the moment.

ok. Just a thought.

> > Also, you might make sure you aren't passing 'quiet' to the boot
> > line, and see if it shows you any further info on booting.
>
> I don't think quiet is being passed in, but I won't be able to confirm
> that until tomorrow night - work is getting in the way...

yeah... no worries.

> What about putting back together an initrd file once it's been
> extracted? Is:  find . -depth | cpio -ov | gzip > newinitrd
> a good command to use, issued from the directory that the original
> initrd was extracted into?

I think that should work, but really you shouldn't ever have to mess
with the initrd.

> Also the extracted initrd has a dev directory containing numerous
> device files.  I don't have much knowledge of device files, but could
> they be specific to not only the hardware but also to the OS version,
> and could extracting and recreating a Fedora 8 initrd file using
> Fedora Core 4 cause problems?  In that case I should boot the F8 DVD
> in recovery mode and do the work there.  Or is the Fedora version a
> non-issue?

Again, I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but you could run a
'mkinitrd' from the rescue cd to make sure.

> Brian S

kevin