[NCLUG] Gateway MT6916

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:11:41 MST 2008

Almost every sound device since the mid 90's has a SoundBlaster compatible
driver.  It doesn't yield good sound, but it's very often worked for me.

Just force Windows to use it's various SoundBlaster drivers until one
works.  Also quite often trying the myriad of Intel-based sound devices on a
laptop often works.  I'd find out what chipset it uses and that should
usually tell you what to try - or even bypassing the OEM and going direct to
the source manufacturer sometimes works for these drivers.

And just so you know- running a VMWare image for XP works better with a
Linux-based host than the other way around.  Just make sure you re-install
VMWare whenever you update your Kernel  (it's a perl script that 90% of the
time is able to re-compile itself properly).

Just an idea :)

-DJ